Mark Knecht wrote:
Hi Dale, We're operating in parallel today but using different tools. OK, based on Stroller's responses to my DVD Movie backup thread (or whatever it was called) I'm trying out dvdbackup + mkisofs + growisofs. So far the best (as measured by my ease of getting through it) web site I found was an Arch Wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dvdbackup From this I got 4 basic commands to try out: 1) Grab the data off the disc backing up everything dvdbackup -i /dev/dvd -o . -M 2) Create an iso image: mkisofs -dvd-video -udf -o ./dvd.iso ./MOVIE_NAME 3) Test that the iso works: mplayer dvd:// -dvd-device ./dvd.iso 4) Write the iso to a DVD disc: growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=dvd.iso So far I've had very mixed results, but it's early days: 1) The first movie I tried produced a black screen in mplayer with no audio and a number of messages telling me to file a bug report. 2) The second movie produced good results in mplayer but the iso file itself is bigger than 6GB implying to me that maybe it's dual layer or something else I haven't figured out yet. Anyway, maybe we can keep each other updated (on list of off, either is fine with me) about our progress. - Mark

Well on mine, the only problem is that it gives a error after doing the preformat part. Other than that, everything works fine. It gives the error but it appears there is no error. I just let it continue and it burns fine, plays fine on both my computer and a home DVD player. I just don't understand why I get a error.

I also forgot to mention, it does this on any burn where I put in a new DVD. It doesn't have to be a movie, it can be plain data such as a backup or pictures etc. I just don't know why it is complaining when really nothing is wrong. I don't know if it is k3b or if it is something under the hood but I figure our guru would know. I can use that tkdvd program burner to test this if needed. I think it is still installed on here.

Dale

:-)  :-)

P.S. I been using DeVeDe to burn mine. Nothing fancy yet but I had to go unstable on EVERYTHING related to get it to work. By everything, I mean DeVeDe, ffmpeg and a couple other packages I don't recall the name of at the moment. The stable packages just would not work.

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"