On 12/23/2011 12:33 AM, Jarry wrote:

But it was the same in the last week, and yet portage could
live with it. Why it suddenly wants to uninstall something
that is part of system profile? And at the same time it says
it might damage my system. Really nice...

I believe the base, default pager is actually "more" from sys-apps/util-linux not sys-apps/less. Thus when the last program on your system to require sys-apps/less directly migrated to requiring virtual/pager it fell back to "more."

Honestly, I do not understand this at all. Things worked for
years, now suddenly cause problems, and we call it "progress".
What is going to be it tomorrow? bash, tar, or grep?

Bash, sure, in time. After all, Bash is a replacement for "sh" and there are a lot of alternative shells available. Wasn't there that push to make all scripts work with ash?