Hi,

our public library uses Adobe Digital Rights Management.
That means you download a paper/book and open it with acroread.

It used to work fine with gentoo ~amd64 but not with ~x86 and x86.
(I assume it works with amd64 as well, can't just test it)

Acroread always crashed, when I tried to open a drm-protected document
on x84-installations.

The reason is, that acroread (acroread-9.4.2) is installed as binary,
but dynamically linked and when you open a drm-protected document, it
tries to load the non-existing library /usr/lib32/libidn.so.11.

To reproduce:
in xterm:
$ export ACRODEBUG=1
$ acroread

now open drm-protected document

dlopen: libidn.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

This library is part of app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-baselibs-20110928
which is usually installed with non-x86 installations.

So I installed emul-linux-x86-baselibs and did set a softlink from
/usr/lib32/libidn.so.11 to /usr/lib. It works fine.

But lately I ran into problems after upgrading gcc. I couldn't emerge
qt-gui
anymore. Actually I had to remove the link, rename /usr/lib32 and
reemerge gcc. Then it was possible to emerge qt-gui.

Any suggestions?
Could there be a library on x86 installation, that one could use?
Could I hide the library from ebuilds other than acroread?
Should I file a gentoo-bug-report?

Greetings
Michael