Dale wrote:
Hartmut Figge wrote:
'and such' also works here. *g*

alsa is enabled in the kernel and i have these packages installed:

hafi@i5_64 ~ $ eix -I --only-names alsa
media-libs/alsa-lib
media-sound/alsa-headers
media-sound/alsa-utils
media-sound/alsaplayer

May it be that you have other packages regarding alsa installed also? If
the notification works for you and you are only using alsa, then
perhaps... :)

Hartmut

I have these installed:

root@fireball / # eix -I --only-names alsa
media-libs/alsa-lib
media-plugins/gst-plugins-alsa
media-sound/alsa-headers
media-sound/alsa-utils
media-sound/alsamixergui
root@fireball / #

The difference is: gst-plugins-alsa and alsamixergui. I just wonder if alsamixer has something muted? Have you ran alsamixer to check it? It can run on a console. You should have that installed already. It is part of alsa-utils. The master channel and the PCM channel is the important ones. Be careful tho, it can play sounds that are pretty loud. If it is muted, you can hit the M key to unmute it. It toggles.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Also, I don't know if this is done on a per user setting or system wide. Make sure you run it as your user and not root. Otherwise it may not work right.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"