Hartmut Figge:

>Now, installation of esound was necessary for my SeaMonkey to be able to
>notify of new mail with a custom sound file. I do *not* want pulseaudio,
>so, do you know of an replacement for esound which could work with
>SeaMonkey?

Summary of the thread:

Without esound there is an uncaught exception when trying to play a
custom sound in Preferences->Mail & Newsgroups->Notification even with
the official builds of SM from mozilla.org.

Timestamp: 09.01.2012 07:18:12
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure
code: 0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE) [nsISound.play]"  nsresult:
"0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)"  location: "JS frame ::
chrome://communicator/content/pref/preferences.js :: PlaySound :: line
99"  data: no]

The solution may be using pulseaudio. On the other hand, removing
pulseaudio is usually one of the first recommendations in the wine
groups when problems occur. ;)

Now, removing esound is no longer a problem for gentoo-user. I may take
it upstream to mozilla.org.

Hartmut
--
Usenet-ABC-Wiki http://www.usenet-abc.de/wiki/