On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 21:25:31 -0600
Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Most man pages are Greek.  My Greek is not real good.

Maybe you've got LINGUAS set incorrectly. ;)

Quoting the relevant bit again,

  the --changed-use option does not trigger reinstallation when flags
  that the user has not enabled are added or removed.

kdeenablefinla was a flag the user (me or Hilco) had *not* enabled, so
that option should *not* have triggered reinstallation.

FWIW, there is discussion of the issue of triggering needless
reinstalls on the dev list now because of kdeenablefinal, buried in the
thread "[gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in sys-libs/glibc:...".  It's
mixed in with arguing about changing USE flags on stable ebuilds.

--changed-use isn't mentioned, instead --exclude=kde-base/* is
recommended, and they are talking about mentioning --exclude in the
--newuse section of the man page.

I'm not filing a --changed-use bug or posting in the dev list because of
Medico's IMO rather prickly attitude about this kind of thing.  He
says in this case:

  The fact is, the user is not being forced to rebuild anything. They can
  simply run full system updates with --newuse less often if it puts
  too much strain on them.

Lest I seem ungrateful, let me be clear I do appreciate the tons of
work he's put into portage for many years.