On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM, G.Wolfe Woodbury <redwo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/22/2012 12:42 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> I played a bit with get-edid | parse-edid. Logically that stuff even
>> working says the VGA monitor cable is bidirectional. I started wondering if
>> the KVM messes up the data coming back, or what else might be going on.
>> Thanks for the ideas, Mark
>
> Many of the cheap KVM models do, indeed, mess up the EDID data coming from
> the monitor.  I suspect that this is from old design specs that have too
> much pull-up/pull-down on the EDID lead since the boxen haven been
> re-engineered for newer, higher resolution and higher speed monitors.
>
> I have had problems specifically with the BELKIN KVMs.
>
> It may also be that the video drivers for Linux are just enough different
> (necessarily) from the MSFT drivers to not reliably sense the EDID return
> signals.
>
> I did as others suggested and tried several until I found one that worked.
>  Sometimes a slightly different model/serial/part no KVM from the same
> manufacturer would/wouldn't work.
>
> --
> G.Wolfe Woodbury
> redwo...@gmail.com

Thanks.  Sounds about like what was going on at his place and it's a
reasonable evaluation potentially.

I guess I could have made it a bit more clear early on - I'm not
looking to solve anything here and I'm not buying KVMs. I was just
curious as to the root cause of the problem. I've seen it discussed
periodically for over a decade but never any strong analysis of why it
happens. It's not a huge problem to the community.

Cheers,
Mark