On Wednesday 08 Feb 2012 11:33:42 Hinnerk van Bruinehsen wrote:
> On 08.02.2012 12:02, Michael Mol wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Christopher Kurtis Koeber
> >
> > <ckoe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am trying to recover MySQL databases (which were properly shut
> >> down) from an EXT4 formatted hard disk.
> >
> > What happened to require the recovery? Which parts of the database
> > server shut down properly, and which didn't?
> >
> >> I loaded the SystemRescueCD distro that you can get online and
> >> when running TestDisk I can see the partitions but I cannot
> >> recover said partitions because it tells me the structure is bad
> >> (any options here, by the way?)

> You could try Autopsy & sleuthkit[1].
> Before you do anything to the drive it would be wise to copy it via dd
> so that no accidental write makes anythoing worse...
>

> [1] http://www.sleuthkit.org/autopsy/desc.php

Definitely create an image of the partition first, rather than keep accessing
the real thing.  At this moment you don't know what caused the corruption - it
could well be a warning of worse things to come as far as this drive is
concerned ...  ;-)

It is much better if you create the image with dd-rescue/ddrescue (can't
recall which of the two packages is claimed to be better).  You may also want
to make a backup copy of the image in case you embark on any destructive
operations on it.

Multiple passes with ddrescue may recover more bits/bytes so hopefully you'll
have a more complete set of data to work with.

> >> With PhotoRec, I can recover parts of the MySQL Database but I
> >> cannot get the important *.MYD files because I guess PhotoRec
> >> doesn't have the signatures for that type of file.
> >>
> >> So, any options I have at this point?

You can use dd or hexdump to pick up some blocks at the start of a known good
*.MYD file, create a signature for PhotoRec and add it on the list of files to
check for.

See the instruction of how to go about this here:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Add_your_own_extension_to_PhotoRec
--
Regards,
Mick