On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:59:32 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> ebuilds do not update themselves, something else does.
>
> All an overlay is, is an alternate bunch of ebuilds laid out in the
> same format as the portage tree. Layman is nothing more than a nice
> bunch of scripts that automate the install, update and resync aspect of
> using them. The process you just described makes no sense to me at all
> unless it is some customization you did yourself.

The MythTV overlay is not serviced by layman. Instead, it includes a
script called from /etc/portage/postsync.d/ to update itself after every
emerge --sync.

> But step back and look at this logically. You have a copy of a file
> that gets updated from a repo somewhere. But you are also fiddling
> around with the same file and expecting it to all magically just work
> without collisions despite having two agents fooling around with it.
>
> Does that strike you as a good idea?

Now that you understand how it works, I hope you can see that your
comments still make absolute sense.

Basically, there are two types of portage tree, ones you manage yourself
and one that are managed remotely and synced to your system. The latter
includes the main portage tree, all layman overlays and the MythTV one.
Only fiddle with the former.

--
Neil Bothwick

If you think talk is cheap, try hiring a lawyer.