http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2102856/Will-FBI-shut-Internet-Ma

> > > Gawd, I hate it when morons write sensational articles that attempt to
> > > make sense to other morons. You get crap like that.
> > >
> > > So if this is legit, and I'm not saying it is, what happened is this:
> > >
> > > The malware changes the DNS cache settings on infected machines,
> > > sending the user to rogue caches. The FBI captured some (or all) of
> > > these rogue caches and (possibly) tried to fix them. A court has now
> > > said those rogue caches must now be shut down.
> > >
> > > So if the morons reading the article do nothing, on March 8 the DNS
> > > caches they use will be down. The user's DNS will not work.
> > >
> > > OMFG!!!!!!! Da intartubes is broken!!!!!
> > >
> > > <sigh>
> > >
> > > Instead, why not just set the DNS caches to something NOT owned by
Ivan
> > > The Russian Spammer?
> > >
> > > And no, the intartubes will NOT be switched off.
> >
> > I don't really think they can unless they just cut power to all the
> > computers.  After all, the internet is supposed to be redundant right?
> > If there is a few computers still running that have a connection, it is
> > still working.  Sort of anyway.
> >
> > Does make one wonder tho.  They have been talking about having a
> > internet "off switch" but I'm not sure it would be that easy.
>
> basically, yes. Take down the core routers and backbones and everything
falls
> apart.
>
> --
> #163933

Indeed. In fact, easier than that.

Just inject false BGP routes into one of the backbone level routers, and
see how wide the Internet becomes 'impacted'. Do it to maybe 5 or 6 other
routers that watch guard over the transatlantic and transpacific routes,
and watch as the Internet fold upon itself.

I was once a certified Network Engineer before I became a System Admin, so
I know. The soft underbelly of the Intartubes is depressingly very
vulnerable.

Rgds,