On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 08:07:21PM -0600, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

> >> Yep, I think it's automatic since alsa 1.0.9 or so.
> >>

> > Yeah, when you wrote dmix the light turned on about how KDE (and I
> > suspect most desktop managers) is likely doing it.
>
> GNOME uses PulseAudio by default, and since 3.0 is actually mandatory.
> I believe Xfce uses PA also, and (please, tell me if I'm wrong) KDE
> also by default uses PA.

KDE has the phonon layer, which features a PA useflag, but also a flag for
gstreamer and vlc.

> dmix *may* be able to handle multiple audio streams (in practice, in
> my personal experience, it always requires more work than PA); but it
> will never be able to do the other stuff PA handles.

This seems like a dumb question (for I was a strict PA denier until recently
and have been using alsa-only since always), but does PA handle OSS
applications better than alsa/dmix? Whenever I want to use sidplay, which only
speaks OSS, I need to stop all other audio programs (e.g. press Stop in the
Clementine player if it's only paused), or else /dev/dsp was busy.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.

Disarm! Or else...