Yes, I used everything as default as possible.
I used 'genkernel' to build my kernel with the default configuration.

I assumed that even though the kernel has framebuffer support built in,
it won't use it if it is not configured as kernel parameter in
grub.conf.
Maybe that was a wrong assumption?

I used to initially have "video=vesafb-tng:mtrr,ywrap,[EMAIL PROTECTED]" in
the kernel parameters.
However, I removed it when the boot process stalled after "vesafb:
scrolling: redraw"

So it looks like I could go two ways:
- Configure the framebuffer properly in grub.conf.
- Build a new kernel with framebuffer disabled.

I would prefer the first option...

> You might want to try building the kernel "by hand" instead.
>

> --
>
> --

Marcel Romijn