Hmmm..., I just followed the installation handbook. Plain, unmodified kernel
configuration, which has framebuffer support enabled.
At the chapter of configuring grub, it mentiones that using the framebuffer was
optional.
<quote>
If you have configured your kernel with framebuffer support (or you used
genkernel's default kernel configuration), you can activate it by adding a vga
and/or a video statement to your bootloader configuration file.
</quote>

I tried some kernel parameters in grub.conf:

video=vesafb-tng:mtrr,ywrap,[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Still stalls.

video=vesafb-tng:mtrr,ywrap,[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Because I read in a mailing list about vesafb not being able to switch refresh
rates (might have been an old mailing list)
Still stalls.

video=vesafb-tng:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Removed the mtrr and ywarp in case they were not supported.
Still stalls.

video=vesafb:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
In case 'vesafb-tng' is not supported but 'vesafb' is.
Still stalls, but messes up the remaining text on the screen.

In the mean time, I have done the same install in VMware.
That install boots (succesfully!) with the "video=vesafb-tng:mtrr,ywrap,[EMAIL
PROTECTED]" setting!! (Although in 640x480, but that's caused by VMware).

So my conclusion is that there is something with my hardware configuration.
I'm using a VIA Epia ME6000 Mini ITX board.

I had Gentoo 2005.0 running on this board, so maybe something changed in this
area between 2005.0 and 2005.1?

When I boot this board with the Gentoo 2005.1 LiveCD, it seems to use the
framebuffer.
The isolinux.cfg mentions "vga=791", but that doesn't seem to solve my problem
as well.

> Unless there's a setting in grub.conf to disable the
> previously-initialized framebuffer. If there was, you could use that,
> but I don't even know if such a setting exists, and seems like extra
> work in any case (enabling the framebuffer just to disable it with an
> override that may or may not work).

-nofb , as suggested by Michael Kintzios, did not help.