On 7 March 2012 11:39, Benny Gächter <benny.gaech...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am Wed, 7 Mar 2012 14:03:45 +0700
> schrieb Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info>:
>
>> eix netcat returned net-analyzer/gnu-netcat and net-analyzer/netcat
>>
>> What's the difference? Which one should I emerge?
>>
>> Rgds,
>
> net-analyzer/netcat is http://nc110.sourceforge.net/
> and net-analyzer/gnu-netcat is http://netcat.sourceforge.net/
>
> Afaik...

The original netcat (net-analyzer/netcat) started suffering from bit
rot and Vapier launched the community edition
(http://nc110.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/nc110/) in an effort to clean
the code so that it compiles with modern code and machines.  However
that was 5 years ago.  I don't know if progress has been slow, or no
devs showed up.

Then gnu-netcat kicked in to do the same thing not much later and also
cater for other platforms.

Finally, netcat6 http://netcat6.sourceforge.net/ showed up with
improvements claiming better ipv6 support and re-write of the netcat
code dropping some features and adding others.

For my rather basic needs and perhaps due to adoption inertia I am
still using the original netcat package, so can't advise about the
others.
--
Regards,
Mick