On Wednesday 07 Mar 2012 06:51:41 Mick wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 Mar 2012 06:49:10 Mick wrote:

> > > I have had to do the same thing.  I have also noticed if I don't run
> > > the config tool that it will max out one CPU core until I kill hplip
> > > or log out and sometimes have to kill hplip then.
> > >
> > > Recently, I have noticed I don't have to do that and everything works
> > > as expected.  Sort of surprised really.  I have got so used to redoing
> > > everything after a update.
> >
> > Thanks guys, but I think that I only use the hpjis driver rather than the
> > full hplip package.  This is because the printer is connected to this
> > printer server:
> >
> > http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2516/
> >
> > which works with lpd://<ip_address>
> >
> > I remember running the hp-config or some such script some years back.  It
> > did not find the printer, or server, or ever configured anything.  It
> > only tried to connect to USB devices.

OK, I just ran it and it won't find the printer.  I think hplip will not run on
lpd:// protocol, which is strange because hpijs works fine - well, was working
fine.

hp-setup fails for my network server and defaults to USB:
# hp-setup -i 10.10.10.4

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.11.10)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-9 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

(Note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to
accept the default.)

Using connection type: usb

error:
Invalid device URI:
error: No device selected/specified or that supports this functionality.

hp-probe won't find it either:
$ hp-probe -bnet

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.11.10)
Printer Discovery Utility ver. 4.1

Copyright (c) 2001-9 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

--------------------
| DEVICE DISCOVERY |
--------------------

Probing network for printers. Please wait, this will take approx. 10
seconds...

warning:
No devices found on the 'net' bus. If this isn't the result you are expecting,
warning: check your network connections and make sure your internet
warning: firewall software is disabled.

Done.

However, the PS121 print server is there waiting for connections and the HP
930c is connected to it and switched on:

$ nc -v -w 2 -z 10.10.10.4 1-10000
PS121.STUDY [10.10.10.4] 9100 (jetdirect) open
PS121.STUDY [10.10.10.4] 3010 (?) open
PS121.STUDY [10.10.10.4] 631 (ipp) open
PS121.STUDY [10.10.10.4] 515 (printer) open
PS121.STUDY [10.10.10.4] 139 (netbios-ssn) open
PS121.STUDY [10.10.10.4] 80 (http) open
PS121.STUDY [10.10.10.4] 23 (telnet) open
PS121.STUDY [10.10.10.4] 21 (ftp) open

These are my flags:

[I] net-print/hplip
     Installed versions:  3.11.10(20:12:51 01/29/12)(X acl hpcups hpijs kde
libnotify policykit qt4 -doc -fax -minimal -parport -scanner -snmp -static-
ppds)

[I] net-print/cups
     Installed versions:  1.4.8-r1!t(18:07:11 01/29/12)(X acl dbus filters jpeg
ldap pam png ssl threads tiff -debug -elibc_FreeBSD -gnutls -java -kerberos -
linguas_da -linguas_de -linguas_es -linguas_eu -linguas_fi -linguas_fr -
linguas_id -linguas_it -linguas_ja -linguas_ko -linguas_nl -linguas_no -
linguas_pl -linguas_pt -linguas_pt_BR -linguas_ru -linguas_sv -linguas_zh -
linguas_zh_TW -perl -php -python -slp -static-libs -xinetd)

Am I missing something obvious?
--
Regards,
Mick