> From:: Eugene Rosenzweig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc seg faults very often
> Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 01:03:01 +1000

> Raphael Melo de Oliveira Bastos Sales wrote:
>
> >After running memtest, several errors have occurred. Does that mean I
> >have to buy new memory?

> >>please install memtest86 or memtest86+ and let it run for some others.
> >>
> >>gcc segfaults are a very good sign of memory problems - and please the
> >>bios-'check' is not a 'check' - never was!
> >>
> >>The bios counts the available memory - this is not a check but accounting.
> >>--
> >>

> You can check memory settings in the BIOS, most BIOSes nowadays have
> options to change memory timings so you can set more relaxed ones and
> see if the errors disappear. Also you can try good oldfashioned
> re-seating of the memory modules, take them out and insert them again.
>
> Eugene.

I remember an application which would identify the bad memory cells and isolate
them so that your machine could happily carry on using the rest of the memory -
unfortunately just like yours my memory is not what it used to be . . .  ;-)

I've googled but can't find it.
--
Regards,
Mick

Lycos email has now 300 Megabytes of free storage... Get it now at
mail.lycos.co.uk