On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 8:48 PM, Bruce Hill, Jr.
<da...@happypenguincomputers.com> wrote:

> On March 17, 2012 at 8:48 PM Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 17/03/12 13:53, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

>> > What's so good about it?  What will it do for me?
>> >
>> > I have this horrible sneaking suspicion that it will be more
> complicated
>> > than /sbin/init + OpenRC, just like udev + initramfs is more
> complicated
>> > than udev, and CUPS is more complicated than classical lpr.
>> >
>> > Why do you find it so good?
>>
>> No idea.  I only posted this because the OP didn't say what's bad about
>> systemd :-)  I really don't know I should care whether my system runs
>> OpenRC or systemd.
>>

> I'm the OP, and often I don't know how to express myself.
>
> It is my understanding that systemd is going to force an initramfs on you
> even if you only have / and no other partitions. (Could it be initrd and
> not initramfs?)
>
> I'm all for automounting a device when it's plugged in, if that's what the
> user chooses. But for me, with my workstation, laptop, wife's PC and
> daughter's laptop -- we just don't need or care for it. Seems a shame to be
> using udev and then have to completely change your system when 181 comes
> out, or freeze it at .
>
> Therefore, we don't install anything to automount devices. We have lines
> such as these in fstab:
>
> UUID=6C5F-3742    /Libby-Vivitar   vfat
> noauto,users,rw,gid=100,dmask=0002,fmask=0113  0 0
>
> for those devices we own. When we get a new device, we add a new line.
>
> We don't use a DE either, just Fluxbox.
>
> The bottom line is that I don't like things being forced on me (hint, "get
> the vaseline, they're on the way!") And I don't like upstream forcing such
> nefarious changes on the distros. And for the Lennart fanboi, his coding is
> so questionable that "Lennartware" has become derogatory slang. (Of course,
> you already know that.)

No need to get personal man, relax.

I'm getting my PhD in Computer Science, and worked several years as
professional programmer. In my not-so-limited experience, Lennart's
code is clean, fast, and usually does what he says it will do. So, no,
I don't "already" know that. You could argue about the overall design,
or what goals his code has, but its quality you are the only one
questioning it.

So again, please, [citation needed]. You still haven't provided any
reference to support your claim that Lennart's code (specifically
systemd's code) is "poorly" done.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés