On Mar 28, 2012 11:27 AM, "Mike Edenfield" <kut...@kutulu.org> wrote:

> Well, for one, the initramfs solution is not generally considered "ugly"
> except by a select vocal few who object to it on vague, unarticulated
> grounds.

Check out the email from William Kenworth in this mailing list; he's having
trouble with initramfs being a blackbox.

As a (mostly) server guy, I much prefer using a whitebox.

I happen to have /usr on a VHD, so I don't need an initramfs for booting
(that, plus my production servers are all udev-less). If push comes to
shove, what I'll do is create a vestigial /usr in the root partition, and
have it overlaid by mounting the actual root over it. Synchronizing can be
automated by bindmounting root, after which I can access its (vestigial)
usr directory.

Rgds,