On Mon, April 16, 2012 3:47 pm, Dale wrote:
> J. Roeleveld wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, April 14, 2012 4:28 pm, Florian Philipp wrote:
>>
>> <SNIPPED>
>>
>>> As we are out of rational ideas, have you tried unplugging the old
>>> disk?
>>> You don't need it for booting at the moment, right? AS SATA is
>>> hot-plugin capable, you can re-insert it later.
>>
>> Be careful here, not all SATA-controllers/ports on mainboards are
>> hotplug
>> capable. I have a mainboard that becomes really unstable when I try to
>> hot(un)plug a harddisk.
>> It runs perfectly fine as long as I switch the computer off before
>> swapping harddrives.
>
> According to the manual, mine is.  Given my luck, I don't want to try
> it.  ;-)

If the manual says it is, then probably it will be.

I have 2 mainboards I tried it with that don't mention either way for
hotswap in the manuals.
One gets unstable, the other works perfectly.

The last mainboard I bought actually has an option in the BIOS where I can
specify per SATA-port which are to support hotswap or not ;)

--
Joost