Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 14.04.2012 13:52, schrieb Dale:
>> kwk...@hkbn.net wrote:

> [...]
>>>>
> [...]
>>>>
> [...]
>>>
>>> Yes, if you want to boot from another drive, that drive needs to have
>>> a usable MBR (or GPT equivalent).
>>>
> [...]
>>
>> Well, I installed grub to the second drives MBR.  I even changed the
>> BIOS to see that drive as the main or first drive.  It still boots the
>> old drive.  I looked in dmesg and saw where it is supposed to point to
>> the tmp drive and it still boots the old drive even tho it is told not to.
>>
>> Let's see, boot a CD, just do a reinstall from scratch and call it a
>> day.  This is ridiculous when you can't tell a boot loader to boot the
>> second drive and it actually do it.  Heaven forbid if I had two Linux
>> OSs on here.
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>>

> As we are out of rational ideas, have you tried unplugging the old disk?
> You don't need it for booting at the moment, right? AS SATA is
> hot-plugin capable, you can re-insert it later.
>
> Regards,
> Florian Philipp

Well, if I unplug it, how am I going to change the partitions and copy
the OS back over to it?  I have not tested the hot plug thingy yet.
Yea, it is supposed to work but . . .

I have done this many times before and never took the sides off the
computer.  Has someone broken grub?

Dale

:-)  :-)

how you interpreted my words!