On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Doug Hunley <doug.hun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The subject line pretty much says it all. I've been happily using lilo
> to boot from my internal 4-disk sata array (md, raid 1) for a while
> now and I recently bought an external sata enclosure. I cabled it up
> to my machine, added 4 disks I had sitting around, and on boot, lilo
> throws a 'duplicate vol-id detected' error and halts...
> I did a bunch of googling, and it looks like if I could just get
> booted, running 'lilo' would actually fix the problem, but I can't get
> lilo booted past this error.

The LILO source code contains a diagnostics diskette that you can
build, maybe it can be of some assistance. It has been over a decade
since the last time I saw LILO so I'm unfortunately no help beyond
this bit of trivia.

> Ideas on how I can fix/remove the vol-id from the external disks?

Do you have another machine with SATA ports that you can hook them up
to temporarily and alter those troublesome bytes?