On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Datty <datty....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Jun 12, 2012 8:59 AM, "Datty" <datty....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> More detail later...but make sure your vpn link is not TCP. UDP, fine,
>>> IP-IP, fine, but not TCP. TCP transport for a VPN tunnel leads to ugly
>>> traffic problems.
>
>> Ah it is TCP at the moment. Not something I could change too easily either.
>> Is it possible to work around or is it not worth fighting with?
>
> If all of these cases are true:
>
> * You only have TCP traffic going over that VPN
> * You don't have any latency-sensitive traffic going over that VPN (no
> VOIP, no interactive terminal sessions and you won't pull your hair
> out over 10s or more round-trips slowing down page loads)
> * You don't have large bulk data transfers going over that VPN (my
> best example of personal experience here was trying to locally sync my
> work-related IMAP mailbox)
>
> ...then it's not worth fighting with.

I could stand to be more precise and concise:
If you're going to use a TCP transport for VPN:
* You need to not mix TCP and UDP traffic
* You need to not have latency-sensitive traffic.

In practice, you'll almost always have some UDP traffic; that's how
DNS generally operates. And even where DNS uses TCP, it's still
latency-sensitive.

So I can be even more concise:
If you're going to use a TCP transport for VPN, you must avoid having
TCP traffic over that VPN link.

--
:wq