Am 23.07.2012 20:34, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:

> journald is an interesting idea. It allows you (among other things)
> to see the messages from a service (and only from that service) in
> the status command of systemctl: As far as I know, there is nothing
> remotely similar in either Upstart nor SysV init.

Yes, there might be *some* advantages to expect ;-)

> In my laptop and desktop, I could only use journald, but since
> systemd can be used along with rsyslog/syslog-ng, I still run
> rsyslog:
>
> # systemctl status rsyslog.service rsyslog.service - System Logging
> Service Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/rsyslog.service;
> enabled) Active: active (running) since Thu, 12 Jul 2012 21:39:04
> -0500; 1 weeks and 3 days ago Main PID: 388 (rsyslogd) CGroup:
> name=systemd:/system/rsyslog.service └ 388 /usr/sbin/rsyslogd -n -c5
>
> The reason is only that I actually like to keep my logs, even if for
> a laptop/desktop is most of the times not necessary.

Keeping journald-logs just needs "mkdir -p /var/log/journal" (and in
case defining the size limit in the configfile).

> I think the only thing I did to set rsyslog as my logger service was
> to link the syslog.service file to it:
>
> # ll /etc/systemd/system/syslog.service lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39
> Jan 18  2012 /etc/systemd/system/syslog.service ->
> /usr/lib/systemd/system/rsyslog.service
>
> For my servers journald is cute, but I would never think about
> removing a "real" logger.

For my servers I don't think about removing a "real" init-system ;-)

No joke: in production environments I don't think of using systemd yet.

Just playing around here and learning things. I would consider using it
if it were officially supported by gentoo in terms of "you get a set of
fully tested unit-files" etc ... but right now it always feels like "ah,
there might be another howto" ... "maybe I lack some really important
service" ... at least this is my feeling right now. learning.

> So, in short: for servers install a real logger (I recommend rsyslog,
> although syslog-ng should also work),

never tried rsyslog, could have a look, yes.

> and for laptop/desktop you
> *could* do just with journald, but if it makes you feel better (as it
> does in my case) you can also install a real logger.
>
> Now that I think about it, I haven't really looked at my logs neither
> in my laptop nor desktop in months. I think I could easily remove
> rsyslog and just have journald; but rsyslog is light enough, and
> having the logs there gives me a little peace of mind.

I also don't expect much difference in performance. There isn't that
much to log on a desktop, and the load isn't that high most of the time.

Thanks, Stefan