On Fri, Jul 27 2012, Paul Hartman wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
>> I forgot a big point.  I have a very high res 30" monitor (2560x1600)
>> and need to insure that the graphics card can drive the monitor at full
>> res (I don't care about dvd's just software development and writing my
>> lectures).  I haven't received a definitive answer from dell about that.
>
> I think monitors with resolution that high usually require a DVI-D
> dual link connection. Ensure your new computer supports that. If it's
> a newer laptop, it might not have DVI at all, but DisplayPort or HDMI
> instead. There are DisplayPort and HDMI to DVI adapters available,
> though I'm not familiar enough with the specifics to say which would
> be compatible with your monitor.

I am embarrassed to report that I again forgot to say everything needed.
I have an "e-port-replicator", which is dell-speak for something you
plug the laptop into and which then has a bunch of ports, including
displayport.  My current laptop plugs into the replicator fine and does
indeed drive the 2560x1600 display.

All the new machines I am considering do support the e-port-replicator
so the only question I see remaining is whether the intel 4000 can drive
all these bits.  I haven't yet got a definitive answer from dell so was
hoping someone here knew.

Thanks and sorry for not giving the info initially.
allan