Am 28.07.2012 10:22, schrieb Florian Philipp:
> Am 27.07.2012 22:57, schrieb Michael Mol:
>> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Florian Philipp <li...@binarywings.net>
>> wrote:

>>> I've experienced issues playing DVDs on fullscreen with the OSS radeon
>>> driver. Therefore I'm cautious of assumptions that something works
>>> simply because the input is easy to decode. Upscaling to large displays
>>> with high resolutions can be an issue.
>>>
>>> I'm not saying the Intel driver cannot handle it. I'm just saying you
>>> should try it or look for reports.
>>
>> How high is 'high' resolution? I was upscaling to 1600x1200 using an a
>> Radeon 9600; that card would now be almost ten years old. A bit later,
>> I did the same on a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 using an i845-based Intel
>> graphics card. Here's the line from lspci, as run in May of 2007:
>>
>> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation
>> 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)
>>
>> Hardware scaling a 2D image is one of the most trivial
>> hardware-accelerated options GPUs perform. If someone had difficulties
>> upscaling a 480p (roughly what DVDs are) to 1080p at 24 or 33fps, I
>> would be very highly suspicious of a software misconfiguration. That
>> kind of scaling should even be comfortably doable in software on any
>> modern x86-derived processor. (With the plausible exclusion of the
>> Atom CPU)
>>

> 1920x1080, on-board Radeon HD 4250. I haven't diagnosed it further
> (except of playing around with mplayer2 options) as it was easier to use
> the closed source driver.
>
> Regards,
> Florian Philipp

I realize this thread is pretty stale but since I talked bullshit and
just now realized it, I want to correct myself:

Since updating the kernel to 3.5 forced me to update the X server beyond
1.11 which in turn forced me to update ati-drivers to a version that no
longer supported my Radeon HD 4250, I had to look into my issues with
the open source driver.

It turns out, my problems had two reasons:
- I didn't enable KMS and DRM for radeon in the kernel
- I didn't have x11-drivers/radeon-ucode installed

Both resulted in a fully functioning X server that
- could run glxgears just fine
- could (with some tuning) render videos in DVD quality with opengl output
- was too slow for videos in any higher resolution

Regards,
Florian Philipp