Thanks for all the advice so far.  Here is the list of proposed pieces :

  CPU : AMD Bulldozer X4 FX-4170 4-Core 4,2 GHz 8 MB    :  149.99 (CAD)
  Mobo : Asus M5A97 AM3+ DDR3 2133 6xSATA3 2xUSB3 USB2  :   99.99
  Memory : Kingston ValueRAM 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz CL9     :   24.99
  Graphix : Asus GT520-1GD3-CSM Nv GT520 810 MHz 1 GB   :   54.99
  SSD : Kingston HyperX 3K SATA3 120 GB 6 Gb/s          :  149.99
  HDD : Seagate Barracuda SATA3 500 GB 16 MB 6 Gb/s     :   69.99
  Case : Canada Computer NA-680 ATX Tower 450 W W/CR    :   42.99
                                               subtotal :  592.93
                                                    tax :   77.08
                                                  total :  670.01

CPU : the principal point made seemed to be that raw speed is central;
I'm suspicious that  > 4  cores, chip design becomes vital to performance
& I doubt if I'm going to need more cores; this is the fastest CPU in sight.

Mobo : I've always bought Asus.

Memory : I already have  1  of these in another machine,
so I'll end up with  8 GB  after transfering it ; there's no point
in buying faster memory, as it will run at the lower speed.

Graphics : I prefer to go with Nvidia on a separate card :
my suspicion is that Intel's built-in GPU takes space on the die
& I had a bad experience with drivers when I tried to use it
on a machine I built in 2007 (I had to add an Nvidia card in the end).

SSD : I'll use this for everything needing regular access
& esp anything Portage (grin).

HDD : This is far larger than I'll need in the foreseeable future,
but it will allow me to set up an incremental Rsync back-up.

Case : I assume  450 W  is adequate; the 2007 PSU has  500 W .

I will also transfer a CD/DVD drive from another machine.

All pieces are in good supply at Canada Computers in downtown Toronto,
which suggests they are popular with other customers.

Comments are as welcome as ever (big smile).

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca