Hello everyone,

I have been dealing with this problem for awhile now. I have two nVidia
video cards, one is a PNY 8400 GS PCIe and the other is a 6150 LE built
onto the board.

Problem is I want to use the nVidia driver with my 8400 GS but when I do
try to use it, it will just lock up the entire computer. Sometime I can
ssh in and sometimes I can't. I don't have compiz or anything like that.
I am using the xfce compositor.

While I do get to use the card for about 30 seconds to a minute, I can't
open the nVidia X Server Settings panel, display panel nor anything that
has to do with flash in chrome.

A couple of the things that I have noticed about the Xorg Log is that
the 8400 GS is reported as having 512mb or video memory when I know it
is only 256. The 6150 is reported as having 256 and I am not sure how
much that one is using. I have a feeling it is shared.

When I am using the 6150 LE and I have the 8400 GS in also. The nVidia X
Server Setting also says the same amounts of video memory.

I haven been using this install of Gentoo for years now. The only thing
that has changed in that time that has to do with Video Cards is Cuda. I
use to use it a little for experiments. All in all the 6150 doesn't
support Cuda and the 8400 GS does.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

--

Willie Matthews