On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 16:24:06 -0700
Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That means your machine could be 100% testing software. At your skill
> level I do not think this is a good idea. It works for some but not
> for others.(me)
>
> I'm on my Kindle so more help is hard right now. Consider how to get
> to stable, if that is even possible.

Hmmmm, yeaaaaaahhh, I don't think so, he's a newbie

I once switched a host from unstable to stable and I sweated blood
and bricks to do it. IIRC correctly it involved a whole lot of manual
package masking, and that took a whole lot of grep sed and awking
emerge output.

It was horrible. It would have been easier to reinstall. But, being a
pigheaded Gentooist, I just had to try!

What he could do is switch ACCEPT_KEYWORDS then not do much updates for
6 months and let stable catch up to unstable. Not ideal from a security
update POV, but better than nothing

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com