Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 06:07:13 -0500, Dale wrote:
>
>> I might also add, I see no speed improvements in putting portages work
>> directory on tmpfs.  I have tested this a few times and the difference
>> in compile times is just not there.
> Probably because with 16GB everything stays cached anyway.

I cleared the cache between the compiles.  This is the command I use:

echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

That clears all cache from what I read and it also shows up as cleared
in top too.  It's amazing how much cache can build up over time.  Right
now, just about all my ram, 16Gbs worth, is used.  I check it with
gkrellm.  It seems no matter how much ram you have, it will use it for
something.

Still, no difference.  There is also a thread on the forums on this
too.  I think I posted my results on there but it was a while back.  I
think I ran that while in single user mode too.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!