120915 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> I just received a new laptop (dell 6430s) with a 256GB SSD
> and naturally want to install Gentoo.  This is my first with an SSD.
> I reinstalled Windows shrinking the large partition very considerably

That much is what I did with my EEE netbook 2008 .
M$ has  2  uses : when you need to test things with your ISP,
who is familiar with the Windows configuration process ;
when you want to play bridge with the machine (no bridge for Linux !).

> My plan is to have root+usr on one "native partition" to appease
> the oracle at udev and the rest on lvm2 as in my current configuration.

Now we've moved to my current installation on my newly-built desktop box,
my 1st SSD too.  It's working very well & I've dropped LVM.
My partitions on the SSD are (new box, old box assigned, old box used):

  SSD  sda  1  boot     0,6   0,1   0,06  /boot
            2  root      30  20     3,55  / incl : opt usr var
            3  swap       4   4    --     swap
            5  home      30  20     6,84  /home
            6  portage   15  20     3,43  /usr/portage (distfiles 2,3)
           --  var       --   5     1,4   /var
            7  z         41  24     1,5   /z
               total    121  93,1  19,45

               tmpfs     --  --    --     /tmp

I've put  /usr/local  +  /usr/src  on my HDD, which your laptop lacks,
but you've got  128 GB  more space on your SSD than I have
& you wb backing it up on some other machine, I assume,
so you have lots of space for more partitions for such things.
( /z  is a big hangar for making ISOs, testing archives, Portage tempdir).
NB I've assigned vastly more space than I'm currently actually using.

> I know that it is important to have ssd partitions well aligned.
> It appears that fdisk is doing this automatically.

Yes, iff you partition the whole disk that way.
I don't know whether Dell + M$ located their partitions correctly
or whether Fdisk will start at the proper place when adding more.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca