On Sep 17, 2012 10:21 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 8:39 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > [snip]
> >> The important part is about 'if you are unsure about this, say N here'.
> >> Well, I don't think I need USB remote wakeup or anything so I don't
> >> think I need this but at the same time, udisk is giving me notice that
> >> it should be there.
> > I'll put it. The 'if you are unsure about this, say N here' is not a
> > warning; it means that it's probably safe not to put it. However,
> > udisks want it, so I would enable it.
>
> Well, I was "unsure" about it.  LOL
>
> >> This is a desktop system not a laptop. Do I need to listen to me not
> >> needing it or udisk that says I do?
> > I suppose you connect from time to time USB sticks/hard drives onto
> > the machine (or at least want to be able to). I don't know how much
> > udisks depends on USB_SUSPEND, but if it's asking for it I don't see
> > any reason at all not to put it. It certainly will not hurt.
> >
> > And BTW, the difference between desktop and laptop is getting smaller
> > and smaller every year. I suspend/hibernate my desktop almost as much
> > as I do my laptop.
> >
> > Regards.
>
> Actually, except for a USB stick, I have not plugged a drive into a USB
> port, YET.  I'm sure I will someday tho.  I hope to get one for backup
> one of these days.
>
> Thanks much.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Kind of off-topic, but...

For backups, I prefer a bunch of disks in a RAID configuration. After all,
what good is an online backup system if the data becomes corrupted without
me realizing it...

I heard QNAP makes good ones. Or I can always make an LVM-based one,
booting off a USB stick. Still considering which route to take, though...
The former is more expensive, but the latter is not that much cheaper
either, considering I have to build a complete system with a honkin' big
casing + honkin' big PSU to feed them hard drives...

And neither provides an off-site backup...

Rgds,
--

Pandu E Poluan, ~ IT Optimizer ~