In the past when I wanted/needed a newer version of a package than is
in portage, I'd create an entry in /usr/local/portage.

For example for app-example/some-package/some-package.x.y.z.ebuild, I'd

1) create directory /usr/local/portage/app-example/some-package
2) copy some-package.x.y.z.ebuild to some-package.x.y.z-r1.ebuild (in the
new directory).
3) Some editing of the new ebuild might be needed here...
4) Run "ebuild ... digest" on the new ebuild to create the Manifest
file.
5) test with "ebuild ... compile" or "emerge some-package".
6) when errors are encountered, repeat steps 3, 4, and 5.

HTH,

David