On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 12:41:59AM +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 09.11.2012 19:46, schrieb Alan Mackenzie:

> >> Can you post us your config?

> > OK, here it is:

> [...]

> Works for me. For a certain definition of "works". It boots but cannot
> mount tmpfs for /run. After that, openrc throws me to a login screen
> with a read-only root partition.

Ah, tmpfs!  Yes I need that, too.  As soon as I enable tmpfs in my
kernel, it boots up properly.  :-)  Thanks very much indeed for the tip!

I wonder why your system got further than mine with this kernel.

> Only changes I made was changing the CPU type to intel, adding a few
> crypto algorithms and adding btrfs in case the boot process got far
> enough to try /etc/init.d/localmount. Root is ext4.

> What init system are you using?

I'm using openrc.

It would seem that configuring and building a kernel is an activity for
experienced users, not beginners.  ;-(

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).