Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 11:11:11 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>
>> It would seem that configuring and building a kernel is an activity for
>> experienced users, not beginners.  ;-(
> How do you think beginners become experienced users?
>
> The rule I stick too when creating a new kernel config is "if you're not
> sure, turn it on". Getting a kernel that boots is the first
> consideration, you can trim it down later, when you have a working
> fallback.

+1 on both points.

Something I learned, was actually forced to learn, is that you will be
surprised at what you can do.  My Dad died when I was fairly young.  I
learned that I can fix about anything because I was the only one around
to fix it.  I'm not talking about just computers either.  Pipe leaks,
got some new pipe and glue and go after it.  The worst thing that can
happen is that you still have a leak just somewhere else.  lol   Then
you get to fix it again and learn even more.  Want to get past the
beginner stage, just jump in.  I have never seen or heard of a kernel
blowing up a computer.  If it doesn't work right, build another one.
Rinse and repeat until you smile real big.  :-D

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!