On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 14:09:34 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>>> At this point I don't know that 1) the image is actually in the
>>> kernel, or 2) that my "init thingy" ;-) image would work, but at least
>>> the process of putting it together is verifiable.
>>
>> That's why I put in all the debug stuff, so I could watch the progress of
>> the script as it ran.
>>

> OK, I'll look at combining that part my my scripts, or just using yours, etc.
>
> Thanks for the help,
> Mark

Neil,
   One more question if I might. What's the simplest way to regenerate
the kernel when there are no kernel changes but you have changes to
the programs that are going into the initramfs? make clean seems like
overkill to me, and it's very slow to boot.

   I suspect that one of the simplest failures on an initramfs is that
you update something that's contained in the initramfs, mdadm or
busybox or whatever, and then don't get that new stuff into the
initramfs. Seems like I need to be right on top of what I'm keeping in
it and make sure a new kernel gets generated any time those packages
are updated. Correct?

   Anyway, I'm wondering how you manage that?

   Should be booting my first kernel with the initramfs in it shortly.
We'll see how that goes.

Thanks,
Mark