Am 2012-12-28 18:52, schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
> Hi,
>
> so in the Good/better/best filesystem for large, static video
> library? thread zfs was mentioned, since I just ordered 3 new hdd to
> replace the current 5 in my box (3 in raid5, 2 in raid1
> configuration), I asked myself: instead of raid5+xfs or ext4 or
> whatever else that might be a sane solution, why not try zfs?

Sure, go ahead :-)

> But - there aren't so many first hand accounts on people using the
> spl+zfs kernel modules on linux.
>
> Anybody done it? Any caveats?

I used it in a former server in my basement, right now the zfs-pool is
out of order simply because I have no SATA-ports available right now
(broken mainboard etc)

It is the equivalent of a RAID1 mirror, 2 disks in a tank.

As you may have researched already it is not necessary to partition the
disks, back then it was recommended to create the pool/mirror by using
the /dev/disk/by-id/ device-notation.

That pool worked very well for me and even caught SATA-related errors
with the occasional scrub-run here and then.

I even was able to migrate that mirror from zfs-fuse to zfs-on-linux
without any problems.

As soon as I have a box with enough hdd-bays again I will re-import that
pool for sure.

Good luck, Stefan