yeah, if it's got a firewall disallowing icmp responses.  then you can do nmap
-P0 to find it.  ping would never find it.  It's gotta have SOME port open.
Also, nmap can do os fingerprinting and probably show you which one is the
solaris or sunos machine...

--
John Jolet
Your On-Demand IT Department