On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM, Randy Barlow
<ra...@electronsweatshop.com> wrote:

> On 01/20/2013 12:37 AM, William Kenworthy wrote:
>> So what is usually recommended and works for this scenario?
>
> I personally use a bridged interface that allows my VMs to be on the
> "physical" network. That works out pretty well. In my use case, it's
> the same subnet as the host, but it should be possible to use VLANs to
> accomplish having them on a separate subnet.

There's no requirement that they be on separate layer 2 segments if
you want them to be on separate layer 3 subnets.

Either statically configure the IPs, or:

For IPv4: Have DHCP grant IPs from different pools based on source MAC
or declared hostname.

For IPv6: Use DHCPv6 rather than SLAAC, and follow the same principles
as for DHCP-for-IPv4.

Sure, giving them separate layer 2 segments helps encapsulation (and
may make things easier from an autoconfiguration standpoint,
depending), but it's not strictly necessary from a technology point of
view.

--
:wq