On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 8:26 AM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No, I don't have CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYs. I do have UNIX98 PTYs, and I
>>> tried enabling alternate namespaces, but that didn't help either.

>>> Yeah, I'm not using CONFIG_LEGACY_PTY, so LEGACY_PTY_COUNT doesn't
>>> even make itself available in menuconfig.
>>
>> Hm. Some googling suggests this might be a permissions issue.
>>
>> I do have consolekit enabled, but I'm using gdm, so I'd expect that to
>> take care of itself. (Although screen fails to launch from vt1, so
>> it's not a consolekit problem.)
>
> OK, it looks like /dev/pts is not mounted. But darned if I know
> why...Isn't udev supposed to handle that?

SOLVED.

Two pieces missing.

One, I didn't notice the "unable to create /dev/pts" and "unable to
create /dev/shm" messages in the boot sequence...and they didn't
appear in /var/log/messages for whatever reason.

Two, I'm not using an initramfs on this machine, so in *addition* to
needing to have CONFIG_DEVTMPFS enabled, I also needed to have
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT enabled.

Rebuilding the kernel with that, and rebooting, seems to have fixed things.

--
:wq