On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 22:47:15 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > I may be suffering from faulty wetRAM, but I'm sure I've seen ebuilds
> > bail because f incorrect kernel configuration in the past.
> >

> Just because the ebuild does it, does not mean it's correct to do it.

Nor does it make it wrong. I'm all for Gentoo allowing you to shoot
yourself in the foot, I just think it's a good idea to let you know the
gun is pointing at your foot before you pull the trigger. Updating udev
without the correct kernel options WILL break the currently running
system. While there are times you may want to do this, like the examples
you mentioned, the warning should come damage is done, not a "BTW I've
just rendered your computer unbootable" message from portage.

Allow overriding this by all means but the sensible default for any
action that is known to cause breakage is to not proceed until you are
ready.

> p.s & OT: please let me know if this mail is grossly malformed (trying
> Thunderbird for the first time)

The layout is fine, just fix the content :P

--
Neil Bothwick

There is so much sand in Northern Africa that if it were spread out it
would completely cover the Sahara Desert.