On 8/30/05, John J. Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Good evening all,

I figured it was about time to start the Guarddog firewall script
automatically, instead of always typing /etc/rc.firewall. The obvious
thing to do was add it to /etc/conf.d/local.start. Easy enough. But it
didn't start. OK, let's put a few logger commands in there and see where
it fails. Nothing logged. Nada. Zilch. Tried the same thing in the
/etc/init.d/local script. Once again, nothing logged. Here's the
beginning of the local script

depend() {
   after *
}

start() {
   ebegin "Starting local"

   # Add any misc programs that should be started
   # to /etc/conf.d/local.start
   logger -p auth.info "This is right before local.start is sourced"
   if [[ -e /etc/conf.d/local.start ]] ; then
       source /etc/conf.d/local.start
   fi
   eend $? "Failed to start local"
}

The initial "Starting local" is displayed as the system boots, but
that's all that happens. If I do a /etc/init.d/local restart, all is
well, and all is logged.

Am I once again missing the obvious?

Thanks,
John
--
Contrary to the lie machine, the world is not safer.

You should use rc-update to run the startup script. Local is for commands that you want run, not really a great way to run other startup scripts. The command you want is probably `rc-update add rc.firewall default`.

-Mike

--
Michael E. Crute

Linux, because reboots are for installing hardware.
"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"