On 2005-08-31 09:25:48 -0400 (Wed, Aug), Philip Webb wrote:
> Is it still possible to boot into 'single' mode,
> ie directly into a no-login root system (for emergencies) ?
>
> The kernel dox suggest this should work in Lilo
>
>   image = /boot/kernel-2.6.9-gentoo-r1
>         label = Single
>         root = /dev/hda3
>         append="S"
>         read-only
>
> but it boots to a login prompt as usual.
> Replacing 'S' with 'single' doesn't work either.
>
> Does anyone have single mode set up satisfactorily ?

Not tested but found in 'man init', section 'BOOTFLAGS':

 -b, emergency
             Boot directly into a single user shell without running any
             other startup scripts.

..so, try with append="emergency"

The difference lies in that 'single' tells the init process to read and
execute entries in /etc/inittab, while 'emergency' tells to not do it.

You may also try with append="init=/bin/bash" or that nice rescue-shell
which name just slipped out of my memory.. /bin/sash maybe.