On 03/18/2013 05:38 PM, Kevin Chadwick wrote:

>>> It's one of Blueness projects based on Hardened Gentoo. It loads
>>> into ram at boot (you need something like 4 gig of ram) which
>>> takes ages from dvd but could be from an ssd/hdd (defeating half
>>> the point without a ro switch though). It can update from the net
>>> once booted too.
>>>
>>> Once done everythings in ram so firefox can literally pop up like
>>> a web advert upon execution.
>>>

>> In other words, it's a distribution designed to not allow
>> persistent storage that might possibly be poisoned,
>
> Not really, that is one benefit, but don't forget that BIOS, HDD or
> Video card firmware could have been altered.

Sure.

> The main goals are reliability and leave no trace elements but it
> does have some added tamper ensurance yes.
>
> I didn't spell it out because you should check the site to see all
> the details and would be bound to get it a little wrong without
> checking myself.
>
>> and instead get much of its security-conscious code updated over
>> the network.
>>

> Security conscious code??? What do you mean? That says to me things
> like PAX brute force protection??

I mean everything that gets updated more frequently owing to its being a
high-profile target in security contexts. Web browsers. Mail clients.
Listening daemons.

Having a static image that you need to update every time you boot is a
bit like plugging in an unpatched Windows machine that you need to run
updates on...every time you boot. It's a tad silly in that respect.

> Even though it is from a DVD it can be updated just like standard
> linux. The problem is, if you run out of ram then things get killed.
>

>> (Frankly, this sounds quite nice for kiosk environments.)
>
> Could be if you have a good enough network connection for Linux
> kernel updates or cut it right down ;-)

Local gigabit is cheap, and a gigabit connection would transfer the
image in under a minute. A bit more, of course, if you've got an
overloaded server being slammed by ten or twenty machines.

(I wonder if one can anycast TFTP on a local segment. Hm. I think you
could just barely pull it off, since you'd have resolved the layer 2
address for your syn packet, and that should stick with the connection.)