On Wednesday 31 August 2005 19.02, Christoph Daldrup wrote:
> Am 31.08.2005 18:44 schrieb Sergio Polini:
> > I emerged -uvDN world on Sunday and dhcpcd 2.0.0 is masked.....
>
> According to <http://packages.gentoo.org/ebuilds/?dhcpcd-2.0.0> , it
> isn't anymore, at least for amd64, x86 and sparc. ;)
>
> On my local system, it ist masked through the package.mask file now.
>
> Christoph

I just did a emerge -u dhcp and I was able to do /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
without problems. Try to clear the cache of dhcpcd under /var/lib/dhcpc (?)
and to start it again.

Maybe you should consider using sys-apps/ifplugd. It's quite useful - it
starts the net.ethX only if the cable is plugged in. If there is a problem,
you just could remove the plug and the net.ethX is not started. And you may
not use Knoppix to solve such problems, there are possibilities to append a
boot option in GRUB/LILO (there was just a thread about it) to boot into
single mode.

Hope this helps!

Stefan