On 26 April 2013, at 16:16, James wrote:
> … sci-geosciences/opencpn is in portage [1]

That looks like awesome software!

> However, much of the time, the Gentoo_nav_hadware will be
> on a 17 foot boat (damp and salty if not wet) … So I'm looking
> for marine grade hardware onto which installation of Gentoo is
> reasonably straightforward.

I don't know, but I think I'd start by looking at Android tablets.

I'm sure there's an ARM version of Debian or Ubuntu that has been released for
mobile devices.

Based on the build quality of iMacs and MacBooks, I would have thought that the
ideal physical platform would be that of the iPad - machined aluminium body,
glass touchscreen, probably fairly tightly sealed at the seams.

Of course Linux support on the iPad will probably be poor, at best, but looking
at Android tablet devices, they seem at least superficially similar. I would
look devices like a Nexus 7 or 10 for a start with. Perhaps with some
waterproof bags, duck tape &/or rubber sealant you could get a very waterproof
platform for not much money.

Stroller.