On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Randy Westlund <rwest...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 06:18:42PM +0200, Michael Hampicke wrote:
>> Am 29.04.2013 17:26, schrieb Randy Westlund:
>> > Hey guys,
>> >
>> > I have a nice set of speakers, but they aren't near my desk in my home
>> > office.  I used to carry them back and forth when I wanted good music, but
>> > that was a pain.  I currently have a RasPi running arch connected to the
>> > speakers -- I've been cat-ing audio files over ssh to mplayer, and that
>> > mostly works (no fast-forward/skip).  I also tried using reverse-ssh and
>> > sshfs to mount my files on the RasPi, but that seems silly.
>> >
>> > What I really want is to be able to stream audio from my browser to the
>> > RasPi's speakers (pandora, grooveshark).  I'd like to set up an audio
>> > device that maps to the RasPi.  Something like /dev/dsp1, perhaps.  If I
>> > could have some audio sent to the RasPi and leave mcabber's chat
>> > notifications on my laptop's speakers, that'd be fantastic.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have a setup like this?  Know of any good options?
>> >
>> > Randy
>> >
>> I don't know what desktop env you are running, but would PulseAudio be
>> an option? You could send the audio from your program (browser) to the
>> Pi but keep the chat notification on your local machine.
>>

> I switch between xfce and xmonad (from startx).  My only experience with
> pulseaudio is "the weird audio thing that keeps messing up ubuntu" from two
> years ago when I had just gotten off windows. After taking a second look, it
> looks promising.  Thanks.
>
> Randy

I was going to suggest pulseaudio just from the title of the thread.
It's just for audio so you don't have to muck around with everything
else (but OpenElec is a great option if you want a media center).  The
only thing I can think of is you might want to adjust the
"resample-method" in daemon.conf if you find it's using too much CPU.

--
Alecks Gates