Am Sat, 04 May 2013 18:15:20 -0400
schrieb Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org>:

> On 2013-05-04 6:01 PM, Marc Joliet <mar...@gmx.de> wrote:
> > I have both postfix and mailx. You'll notice that the category of mailx is
> > mail-client and not mail-mta (or "net-mail", as you wrote).
> > mail-client/mailx is
> > simply a command line email client used for automating the sending and
> > receiving of emails; on my system it is as far as I can tell only used by
> > smartmontools.
> >
> > Unless msmtp also provides {,/usr}/bin/mail there isn't really an issue
> > here.
>
> Oh... ok, well, now I'm  just wondering why it decided to install it all
> of a sudden...
>
> <shrug>

That's what the ChangeLog files are
for: /usr/portage/app-forensics/rkhunter/ChangeLog shows two recent dependency
fixes, which each reference a bug report. In this case it's bug #398123,
according to which rkhunter uses the "mail" command in its daily cron job.
Obviously, without a /bin/mail provider installed (what virtual/mailx is for),
the mails will never get sent. Instead, you (hopefully) get error messages from
cron.

> Thanks

HTH
--