On 2013-05-04 7:46 PM, Thanasis <thana...@asyr.hopto.org> wrote:
on 05/05/2013 01:15 AM Tanstaafl wrote the following:
Oh... ok, well, now I'm  just wondering why it decided to install it all
of a sudden...

mail-client/mailx : The /bin/mail program, which is used to send mail
via shell scripts

mail-mta/ssmtp: Extremely simple MTA to get mail off the system to a Mailhub

They are totally different and not alternate of each other.

Well, I'm using msmtp not ssmtp, but yeah, I was having tunnel vision.

On 2013-05-05 5:45 AM, Marc Joliet <mar...@gmx.de> wrote:
> /usr/portage/app-forensics/rkhunter/ChangeLog shows two recent
> dependency fixes, which each reference a bug report. In this case
> it's bug #398123, according to which rkhunter uses the "mail" command
> in its daily cron job. Obviously, without a /bin/mail provider
> installed (what virtual/mailx is for), the mails will never get sent.
> Instead, you (hopefully) get error messages from cron.

Ah, ok, makes sense now. I had installed rkhunter a week or two ago but had commented the cron job when working on something else, but never re-enabled it, and hadn't noticed I wasn't getting those emails (to remind me to go back and re-enable it).

I was getting other system emails (ie, portage), so didn't realize I needed something else (a client) for these kinds of emails.

Anyway, sorry for the noise...