On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 08:51:23 -0400
"Dave Nebinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote the words:

> > Hi Dave --  thanks for the response.  I'm not sure I understand it
> > all, but I understand enough to get me started and do some testing.
> > One question however, when you say to build pixie manually, what do
> > you mean by building it manually?  Is that different from
> >
> > emerge pixie
>
> Yeah.  Basically you do the following:
>
> 1. get the tarball either from the home site or /usr/portage/distfiles
> to your home directory.  Usually if I'm going to do a manual build I
> grab the latest stable distribution from the home site.
> 2. extract the tarball then cd into the directory.
> 3. Run the configure script, but you have two options: a) use
> "./configure --prefix=/usr" to replace the pixie that portage emerged
> or b) use "./configure --prefix=/usr/local" to get a clean local copy.
> 4. Build using the make command.
> 5. At this point you can test in the local directory to see if it
> works. 6. If you're happy with the build, su then "make install".

Oh, duh...  I have done an
./configure
make
make install
since I started using Gentoo.  How soon we forget.  Actually it was just
a terminology problem of me not grasping what you said.  If I replace
the pixie emerged by portage does that mess up anything as far as
portage is concerned?

I expect there is something out there about my question.  I'll have to
go looking when I have time.  I'll probably try your suggestions this
weekend.  Much too busy at the moment to play with this right now.

I have one more dumb question.  What man page do I read to understand
how to use LDFLAGS?  I was thinking this was a variable in make.conf
however I just read the man page for make.conf and I see that it is not
documented there.  Also looked around at gentoo.org documentation, but
didn't find anything that helps yet.

Again, thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Adrian

--
On The Fly Photography -:- Creation From Chaos

On The Fly Photography:  http://204EastSouth.com
Purchase from On The Fly:  http://204EastSouth.com/OTFStore.htm
The Cynical Libertarian Society:  http://www.204EastSouth.com/cls