On 07/02/2013 07:23 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2013-07-01, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>  2) Unplug or power down the firewire drive when booting.

I had this problem on my Intel motherboard, and found out you can
disable booting from external drives. "Boot to removable devices" or
similar in the BIOS. Failing that, changing the boot order so that the
firewire/USB device is at the very end of the boot list may help your
situation.

> Number 6 (fixing the kernel) is The Right Thing To Do(tm), but it's a
> bit out of scope for the momement.  The "early code" in the kernel
> obviously knows how to read partition tables and also knows about the
> relevent file system, so I'm a bit baffled why it can't look at the
> file system label.

Is CONFIG_EDD set?

CONFIG_EDD:

                                                  Say Y or M here if you
want to enable BIOS Enhanced Disk Drive Services real mode BIOS calls to
determine which disk
BIOS tries boot from.  This information is then exported via sysfs.

Dan